In the summer 2017, the news headlines were filed with information about what has become known as the Marco Polo fire. The fire occurred in Hawaii in the 36-story Marco Polo condominium on the Big Island. When the blaze erupted, four people died and 13 more were injured in the efforts to suppress the fire and evacuate the building including one firefighter.
While the fire was a massive tragedy, the damage did not end with the loss of the $100 million building. The condo building was built in 1971 at a time when asbestos was used in most aspects of construction and manufacturing. Continue reading →